For many of us, winter is that time of the year when we feel more irritable and lack motivation. With appropriate lighting, we can forget about the gloomy weather and feel safe and sound in our homes.
Although candles are probably the first thing that comes to many people’s minds when trying to lighten up their homes, we shouldn’t forget about other lighting solutions either. There is such a huge variety of options with different colours, sizes, forms and functions – with a well-chosen lamp, it is easy to transform both your mood and your home.
Here are six lighting tips on how you can easily freshen up your interior using different lighting solutions.
- If your space is small, use bright lights in the corners of the room – this will make it appear larger. If the ceiling is low, try pointing a light upwards.
- Task lighting (e.g. torcheres or table lamps) is great for creating a comfortable relaxation space. You can use task lighting over the dining table – choose a pendant light that will hang 20-30 inches above the table. Task lighting is also great for bedrooms.
- If you want your home to be just brightly lit and not much more, decorative lighting may not be your best choice. However, decorative lamps can transform your room completely, using different colours, movement, shadow play, and even smells. Little tip: choose such a lamp that will look nice during daytime as well.
- Using accent lighting, you can emphasize the best features of your home or hide small defects. Accent lights will work great to illuminate the stairs, alcoves, pieces of art, or any other detail you want to put a stress on. You can also use accent lights in the bedroom, on either one or both sides of the bed. It is best to hang a lamp 27 inches above a pillow and 8 inches from the side towards the middle of the bed. If you’re not planning to read in bed, you can choose frosted glass lighting. Small table lamps also look great in the bedroom and help create cosy atmosphere.
- String lights still get associated with holiday season sometimes. However, they can be effective at any time of the year. You can try putting them into a glass bowl or tie them around a chosen object to accentuate it. (Of course, check our lamps for this matter too.)
- Use different levels of brightness. To achieve this, you can try using a dimmer switch or employ a task lighting. Don’t be afraid to experiment – different types of lighting can fit into one room, for example, accent and decorative lamps can complement one another very well. Just be careful and don’t use more than a few designs in one space or it will look crammed.
I hope these lighting tips will is useful for you. Subscribe us for more tips, DIY and enchanting designs.